Foreword by Peggy O’Mara
Have you seen our sponsor
Pumpspotting is a breastfeeding app
that connects nursing moms
and helps them to find, rate
and share the best places
to pump and nurse.
Download the free app
to join the community.
PART ONE: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
PREGNANT PAUSE: TO NURSE ON OR NOT?
- Weighing the Needs on Both Sides of the Breast
- What’s the “Natural” Thing to Do?
- How Will I Ever Make a Decision?
REST AND SELF-CARE
- Daytime Rest
- Restful Nights
DISCOMFORTS WHILE BREASTFEEDING
- Sore Breasts during Pregnancy
- Breastfeeding Agitation
- Sexual Arousal
- When Breastfeeding Triggers Nausea
- Working around the Discomforts
- Sore Breasts after the Baby is Born
PREGNANT MILK AND MILK FOR TWO
- What Will Happen to My Milk During Pregnancy?
- The Four Seasons of the Breast
- Breasts Changing Size: Autumn, Spring, or Both?
- Milk Enough for Two
TANDEM MAMA: BECOMING THE MOTHER OF ANOTHER
- Pregnant Preparations
- Preparing Yourself for Tandem Nursing
- Labor and Birth, Tandem Style
- Taking in Your Tandem Duo
- Stretching to Meet the Needs
- Riding Tandem into the Sunset
- Look Out for Cranky Mama!
DEALING WITH DOUBTERS
- Facing Disapproval
- Seeking Out Those Who Respect Your Choices
- Finding Your Voice
PARENTING IN TANDEM AND FLYING SOLO
- Getting Through the Day
- Facing Disagreements
- Be Clear about Your Needs
- Relationship Issues
- Adjusting Expectations
- The Case of the Disappearing Lap: Nursing Positions for Pregnant Mamas
- The Ins and Outs of Nursing Two Together
- The Ups and Downs of Nursing Each One Separately
ADOPTING A SECOND NURSLING
- The Bond of Breastfeeding
- Milk for the New Baby
- Is Mature Milk What My Baby Needs?
- Will I Be Able to Breastfeed Exclusively?
- What If My Baby Doesn’t Want to Nurse Right Away?
- Continuing to Breastfeed Your Experienced Nursling
- For More Insight and Support
CHANGES IN BREASTFEEDING
- Ready to Wean?
- What If a Weaned Child Asks to Try Again?
- Mothers May Initiate Changes In Breastfeeding
- Cutting Back with Empathy
- Weaning Happens
BECOMING A BIG BROTHER OR SISTER
- Pre-Tandem Nursing: Changes Begin during Pregnancy
- A Shifting Relationship with Mama
- A Budding Relationship between Nursling
PART TWO: HEALTH AND NUTRITION
- The Mother’s Health
- The Nursling’s Health
- The Health of the Fetus/Newborn
- Going Forward
- Pregnancy Complications
- Trust Yourself
EATING FOR THREE
- Natural Safeguards
- First, Let’s Talk Quantity
- Next, the Quality Question
- Letting the Scale Guide You
- Water Intake
PART THREE: MOTHERS’ STORIES
- My Path to Nursing Three
- Weaning, Un-Weaning, and Re-Weaning—All In One Year
- Tandem Nursing By Adoption
- Weaning during Pregnancy—Twice
- Weaning Dilemma during Pregnancy
- Making Tandem Nursing Manageable
- Nursing My Buddy, Nicky
- Those Intense Tandem Nursing Days
- The Circle Widens
- A Day in the Life of a Tandem Nursing Mother
About La Leche League
|Excerpted with permission from
Adventures in Tandem Nursing:
Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
by Hilary Flower
La Leche League International, ©LLLI 2003