Foreword by Peggy O’Mara
PART ONE: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
PREGNANT PAUSE: TO NURSE ON OR NOT?
- Weighing the Needs on Both Sides of the Breast
- What’s the “Natural” Thing to Do?
- How Will I Ever Make a Decision?
REST AND SELF-CARE
- Daytime Rest
- Restful Nights
DISCOMFORTS WHILE BREASTFEEDING
- Sore Breasts during Pregnancy
- Breastfeeding Agitation
- Sexual Arousal
- When Breastfeeding Triggers Nausea
- Working around the Discomforts
- Sore Breasts after the Baby is Born
PREGNANT MILK AND MILK FOR TWO
- What Will Happen to My Milk During Pregnancy?
- The Four Seasons of the Breast
- Breasts Changing Size: Autumn, Spring, or Both?
- Milk Enough for Two
TANDEM MAMA: BECOMING THE MOTHER OF ANOTHER
- Pregnant Preparations
- Preparing Yourself for Tandem Nursing
- Labor and Birth, Tandem Style
- Taking in Your Tandem Duo
- Stretching to Meet the Needs
- Riding Tandem into the Sunset
- Look Out for Cranky Mama!
DEALING WITH DOUBTERS
- Facing Disapproval
- Seeking Out Those Who Respect Your Choices
- Finding Your Voice
PARENTING IN TANDEM AND FLYING SOLO
- Getting Through the Day
- Facing Disagreements
- Be Clear about Your Needs
- Relationship Issues
- Adjusting Expectations
- The Case of the Disappearing Lap: Nursing Positions for Pregnant Mamas
- The Ins and Outs of Nursing Two Together
- The Ups and Downs of Nursing Each One Separately
ADOPTING A SECOND NURSLING
- The Bond of Breastfeeding
- Milk for the New Baby
- Is Mature Milk What My Baby Needs?
- Will I Be Able to Breastfeed Exclusively?
- What If My Baby Doesn’t Want to Nurse Right Away?
- Continuing to Breastfeed Your Experienced Nursling
- For More Insight and Support
CHANGES IN BREASTFEEDING
- Ready to Wean?
- What If a Weaned Child Asks to Try Again?
- Mothers May Initiate Changes In Breastfeeding
- Cutting Back with Empathy
- Weaning Happens
BECOMING A BIG BROTHER OR SISTER
- Pre-Tandem Nursing: Changes Begin during Pregnancy
- A Shifting Relationship with Mama
- A Budding Relationship between Nursling
PART TWO: HEALTH AND NUTRITION
- The Mother’s Health
- The Nursling’s Health
- The Health of the Fetus/Newborn
- Going Forward
- Pregnancy Complications
- Trust Yourself
EATING FOR THREE
- Natural Safeguards
- First, Let’s Talk Quantity
- Next, the Quality Question
- Letting the Scale Guide You
- Water Intake
PART THREE: MOTHERS’ STORIES
- My Path to Nursing Three
- Weaning, Un-Weaning, and Re-Weaning—All In One Year
- Tandem Nursing By Adoption
- Weaning during Pregnancy—Twice
- Weaning Dilemma during Pregnancy
- Making Tandem Nursing Manageable
- Nursing My Buddy, Nicky
- Those Intense Tandem Nursing Days
- The Circle Widens
- A Day in the Life of a Tandem Nursing Mother
About La Leche League
Excerpted with permission from