It is possible for anyone (mother or baby) to have an allergic reaction to just about anything. Watch your baby closely for any adverse reactions if you take any herb or medication.
Keep in mind that most herbal treatments have not been thoroughly researched, particularly in regard to lactation. “Natural” substances are not automatically safe! Herbs are drugs, so it is necessary to use caution when using them.
Have you seen
Earth Mama Angel Baby's
for Nursing Mamas?
Here are some suggestions for nursing moms when considering herbal remedies, from Ruth A. Lawrence, MD (author of Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession):
- Avoid the pharmacologically active herbal teas. Drink any herbal teas only in moderation.
- Limit intake of any herbal preparation that combines several active ingredients.
- Always check the label. Even vitamins and simple echinacea may contain herbs that should not be used by breastfeeding mothers.
- Use only reliable brands that have ingredients and concentrations clearly marked on the label, as well as the expiration date and the name of the manufacturer and distributor.
- Be sure to check with your physician before taking any natural remedy, since it could interact with other medications you take or need.
Source:Herbs and Breastfeeding by Ruth A. Lawrence, MD