Breastfeeding a Baby with Tongue-Tie or Lip-Tie (Resources)
Great basic info on breastfeeding and tongue-tie
- When unexplained breastfeeding pain is an indicator of tongue and lip ties by Meg Nagle, IBCLC
- Tongue Tie – What Do Parents Need To Know? by Jessica Barton, MA, IBCLC
- Tongue-Tie by Anne Smith, IBCLC
- Tongue-Tie Information for Families from The Royal Women’s Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- Helping a baby with a tongue tie – information for parents and health professionals from the UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative
- How Does an Upper Lip Tie Affect Breastfeeding? by Bobby Ghaheri, MD
- Tongue Ties and Lip Ties: Symptoms, Treatments and Aftercare – a podcast from the Boob Group featuring Catherine Watson Genna, BS, IBCLC
- Breastfeeding should be fun and enjoyable A book all about fixing abnormal lingual and maxillary frenum attachments by Lawrence A. Kotlow, DDS
In-depth and professional information
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Diagnosing Tongue/Lip Ties from Mommypotamus.com
- Congenital Tongue-tie and its Impact on Breastfeeding by Elizabeth Coryllos, MD, MSs, FAAP, FACS, FRCSc, IBCLC, Catherine Watson Genna, BS, IBCLC, and Alexander C. Salloum, MD, MA. From AAP Section on Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding: Best for Mother and Baby, Summer 2004 Newsletter.
- Articles from Lawrence A. Kotlow, D.D.S., P.C. on tongue-tie, lip-tie, and their effects on breastfeeding
- Tongue-Tie by Dr Carolyn Lawlor-Smith, BMBS, IBCLC, FRACGP
- Ankyloglossia (tongue-tie) and breastfeeding from the Canadian Paediatric Society, Paediatrics & Child Health 2002; 7(4), 269-70.
- Hazelbaker Assessment Tool for Lingual Frenulum Function from Pediatrics. 2002 Nov;110(5):e63.
- Tongue-tie: Impact of breastfeeding. Complete Management Including Frenotomy by Dr. Evelyn Jain. Examples of tongue tie and information on Dr. Jain’s video, which was produced to help in identifying tongue-tie, assessing its impact on breastfeeding and performing frenotomy, and providing followup lactation management.
- Articles from Bobby Ghaheri, MD on tongue-tie, lip-tie and breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding and Frenulums and Info on Tongue-Tie by Dr. Brian Palmer, DDS
General articles (not breastfeeding related)
Journal Articles (most recent listed first)
- Cho A, Kelsberg G, Safranek S. When should you treat tongue-tie in a newborn? Journal of Family Practice, 59(12) 2010: 712a-712b.
- Knox I. Tongue Tie and Frenotomy in the Breastfeeding Newborn. NeoReviews 2010; 11 (9):e513.
- Wallace H, Clarke S. Tongue tie division in infants with breast feeding difficulties. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006 Mar 6; In press as of 4/13/06.
- Amir LH, James JP, Beatty J. Review of tongue-tie release at a tertiary maternity hospital. J Paediatr Child Health. 2005 May-Jun;41(5-6):243-5.
- Hogan M, Westcott C, Griffiths M. Randomized, controlled trial of division of tongue-tie in infants with feeding problems. J Paediatr Child Health. 2005 May-Jun;41(5-6):246-50.
- Naimer SA, Biton A, Vardy D, Zvulunov A. Office treatment of congenital ankyloglossia. Med Sci Monit. 2003 Oct;9(10):CR432-5.
- Fitz-Desorgher R. All tied up. Tongue tie and its implications for breastfeeding. Pract Midwife. 2003 Jan;6(1):20-2.
- Ballard JL, Auer CE, Khoury JC. Ankyloglossia: Assessment, Incidence, and Effect of Frenuloplasty on the Breastfeeding Dyad. Pediatrics. 2002 Nov;110(5):e63.“All frenuloplasties were performed without incident. Latch improved in all cases, and maternal pain levels fell significantly after the procedure… Conclusion. Ankyloglossia is a relatively common finding in the newborn population and represents a significant proportion of breastfeeding problems. Poor infant latch and maternal nipple pain are frequently associated with this finding. Careful assessment of the lingual function, followed by frenuloplasty when indicated, seems to be a successful approach to the facilitation of breastfeeding in the presence of significant ankyloglossia.”
- Messner AH, Lalakea ML, Aby J, Macmahon J, Bair E. Ankyloglossia: incidence and associated feeding difficulties. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000 Jan;126(1):36-9.
- Masaitis NS, Kaempf JW. Developing a frenotomy policy at one medical center: a case study approach. J Hum Lact. 1996 Sep;12(3):229-32.
- Jain E. Tongue-tie: its impact on breastfeeding. AARN News Lett. 1995 May;51(5):18.
- Nicholson WL. Tongue-tie (ankyloglossia) associated with breastfeeding problems. J Hum Lact. 1991 Jun;7(2):82-4.
- Themed issue on ankyloglossia. J Hum Lact. 1990 Sep;6(3).